Wednesday 16 September 2009

Leaving to care for dad

I have bad news this week. I’ve got a phone call from my mum the day before yesterday while at work. It took a few minutes to understand through her tears what she was saying. It took a few more minutes for what she was saying to actually sink in. My father has had a stroke and he’s been taken to a hospital. He’s unconscious and his condition is critical.

I’m writing these words from a public access Internet terminal at Luton airport. I admit that my main reason is to take my mind off the delayed flight and I apologise for using you as a shoulder to cry on. Those of you who followed my blog from the beginning know that my family is far away. Leaving and working thousands of miles away from them always made their wellbeing a concern. I sometimes wondered what I would do if... How would I cope? Well, there was no question this time. Not a single doubt. I’m going to be with my dad for as long as it takes. I’m going to be there and I know deep in my heart that it will make a difference.

I will not be writing for a while, but I will get back in touch when everything’s okay. Thank you for being there for me.

10 comments:

  1. I’m really sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother also had a stroke earlier this year. Ana, you have to get yourself ready for the worst, but in any case staying calm and collected will make a big difference. Someone who’s poorly doesn’t need more sighing and tears. What they need is to have people they love close by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana, you are a good daughter. You’ve done the right thing leaving everything behind and going back home to stay by your father’s side. If your mum couldn’t hold back her tears on the phone that means that situation is serious. Besides, she might need you right now as much as, if not more than, your father does. I will pray for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana, I know what you are going through and I feel your pain. I’m going to offer you any clichés. They didn’t help me. I simply hope you father gets another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana, I hope your dad gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana, I’m really sorry. I know I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes right now. I wish your father luck, because he’ll need it. As for you, you can use us as a shoulder to cry on anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences. Ana, I think you should read some information on stroke and pick up medical terminology. From my own experiences with hospitals and doctors, the worst thing is not understanding what’s really going on. You end up feeling stupid and useless. So it’s a good idea to get ready. I am sure you will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If something like this happened to one of my parents I’d also leave everything to be by their side. We live in the same country but we don’t see each other very often. I was glad when I finally got a chance to live on my own. It’s hard for me as an adult to stay with my parents, because they never seemed to understand that I’ve already grown up. Despite that I’d be with them if they needed me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accept my condolences. Try to be strong.

    ReplyDelete