Saturday 12 September 2009

9/11

Today is September 12th – my mother’s birthday – the day I loved from early childhood. I always remember making her presents myself, with my own hands. I’m sure they were never as amazing as I thought they were, but my mum’s face, her big bright smile, always convinced me otherwise. In 2001 I came to Britain. It was the first time I would miss her birthday. A month before the date, I’ve decided to create a website for her. A website full of best recipes out there, focusing heavily on deserts, which I knew my mum would particularly appreciate. I spent my lunch breaks in the library, using student internet access to get the recipes for the site. I was determined: we’d spend the day apart, but we would never forget it. What I never forgot was September 11th.

It was only few months since I came to UK. My English was poor, my understanding of fluent English speech wrapped in Scottish accent was even worse. We had a class on Computer Communications. I remember people crying and talking about Twin Towers. I remember the feeling of great sadness and I remember feeling embarrassed. I couldn’t understand what people were talking about, was too ashamed to ask, couldn’t participate in hushed conversations and quite tears. Only when I got to the library during the break that I understood what happened. A small TV, mounted just below the ceiling, was showing a replay of a plane hitting one of the towers. Again, and again, and again. I stood watching, fascinated. I heard a girl, with American accent, crying into a mobile, asking if the person on the other side knew if daddy was at work that day. I understood and that was when I cried. I vaguely remember phoning my own parents, asking if they were okay, asking them to promise that they will always be okay. I also remember the librarian, her usually strict face soft, giving me a quick nod and a sad smile. It was the first time she allowed people to use mobiles in the library. She also understood.

I still remember the fear that gripped my heart that day. Not for myself. For others. For the people left behind. For the ones who were on the phone, trying to understand why their mum, or dad, or child didn’t answer. Did they go to work that day? Did they make it out? Will they ever see them again? And Why? Why would anyone do such a thing? Why? Why? Why?!!

Since 9/11, I care for today so much more. Value it so much more. I hope no one ever takes away our tomorrow. And people for whom it’s already been taken away will remain alive in our memories.

15 comments:

  1. 9/11 will always remain the day of mourning, not only for American people but for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe it’s been eight years. Nearly 3000 innocent people died in the 9/11 attacks. More died in the war against terrorism that came after. I don’t really know who’s behind the attacks: Al Qaeda, Taliban, Osama Bin Laden. All I know is that their judgment day will come and then they’ll burn in hell 3000 times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Human lives are so short and still there are people who are trying to make them shorter. People who have power but little brain to use it right should forget about playing wars and think about what legacy we’re going to leave to our children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should say sorry. 2974 times Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9/11 is a sad time for all of us. I hope we never see it happen again. I hope we never let it happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9/11 is one of those times when you remember exactly where you were, what you were doing and who you were with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for reminding us of this day, the day of sadness and tears and the day for remembering all those no longer with us. It has already been eight years, but our feelings are still strong and our memories fresh.
    “Will the tears ever stop? God Bless the victims, heroes, survivors and surviving families. Stay safe, stay strong.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do humans fight? Why can’t we see that we are all the same? Why can’t we understand that we are killing each other? Why can’t we stop?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The answer is simple. It was us humans who started the war and it’s us who can stop it. If everyone on Earth starts thinking about this today, taking action, only then have we a chance to stop the war.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An eye for an eye makes us all blind.
    Mohandas Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  11. When there’s war people live in constant fear. Mothers wake up in the night sensing their sons dying. Terroristic acts in times of piece are worse than war. They are acts of treason against the whole of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a Muslim and my heart breaks thinking of all the people, American and non-American, who died that day. I cry for the families whose sons and daughters were taken away. But I also cry for the innocent Iraqi people who are dying for somebody else’s crimes as I type. I pray to Allah for all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 9/11 is the saddest day in our history. I hope future will give us answers to the most important questions of Who and Why.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 9/11 changed everything. It turned peace into war. I don’t want blame anyone but it’s appalling when governments not only repeatedly fail to protect us and keep us safe. They can’t even answer who and why started this senseless war against humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lost the man I loved in those attacks. On that September day eight years ago, terrorists didn’t only take away my love and my hope for happy future with a husband and lots of children, they ripped out my heart and burned it with the Twin Towers. I wish it was me who died that day. I wish he was still alive. Thank you for remembering this day and thank you for reminding everyone about it.

    ReplyDelete