Saturday 24 October 2009

Dealing with loss

Before I begin today’s blog, I want to express my sincere gratitude for your kindness and support. It’s been a hard month and your kind words and good wishes guided me through the darkest moments, giving me strength and giving me hope.

When I first wrote an outline to the Gardener, condemning my main character, Alan Walker, to losing the people he loved, little did I know how close I would get to going through that myself. I say close and yes that means my dad is getting better. Oh so very slowly, but better nonetheless. Over the past few weeks he’s been moved to a good hospital, had neurosurgery and is now officially stable, though he will remain in a drug-induced coma for the next 3-4 weeks. His doctors say he has a chance for full recovery, which I know he does because he’s a fighter. He’s always been one.

It’s strange to think about the so-called ways of life. The stroke he had was a kind of call from the past. He had been run over by a car while still dating my mum and the doctors always warned that the head trauma he received might surface one day when he’s older. I used to love listening to stories of that accident. Well, not about the actual thing, but what came after. It brought my parents closer, made them realise how much they cared for one another, played a huge role in them getting married when they did. They used to joke that if it wasn’t for the accident, I might not have been around listening to their stories of it. Yet, as predicted all those years ago, it has called back; making an unexpected and unannounced appearance, reminding that life is multidimensional; that there are good things and bad; that, maybe, life doesn’t really differentiate about good and bad. It just happens. Because, otherwise, why do so many bad things happen to good people?

I am so very happy that my dad is still with us, still fighting, but I remember that life doesn’t always do what’s “right” and my heart goes out to all those people who lost somebody they love.

11 comments:

  1. When my mother died I kept asking myself the same question over and over again. Why her? There are so many terrible people who don’t deserve to live, but she is the one dead. But then, I realised that I don’t have the right to judge others and instead I asked myself: Did I do everything to help her and to save her? I wish I could see my mama for just a few minutes so I can say how sorry I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good news. There typically are complications after the stroke depending on how quickly your father got treatment he needed, but he’s alive and that’s the most important thing. Stay with him and if he is a fighter like you said he’ll pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m very happy your dad is better. It’s very interesting how you mum and dad met and it’s a shame that accident has hurt him now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my mum was a young girl, she was hit by a car when she was cycling back home from college. The boy who drove the car didn’t have a driving licence and didn’t have his grandma’s permission to take the car in the first place. He was very scared and even considered driving off, but he stayed. That was my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand news! Hope your dad fully recovers. You’re right life doesn’t care if you’re good or bad. Look at me, I’m definitely one of the good guys and there’s gazillions of things life never done for me.

    PS It’s good hearing back from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn’t sure if I should leave a comment, but you saying about life not differentiating between good and bad somehow stuck in my mind. I’ve read your post and realised that I’m actually very lucky. I’ve got a large family of my own and mine and my wife’s parents are all in good health. I even have both grandparents from my mother’s side and grandfather from my father’s side.

    You don’t think about bad things when everything’s all right in your life, even though we’re all born to lose somebody we love at some point. This is just the way life goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is hard. Sometimes it’s fair and sometimes it isn’t. Atrocities, terrorism, people dying of hunger and thirst are prime examples of life being unfair. It some cases we can help and in others all we can do is watch and care. I am glad your father is better and I offer my deepest condolences to everyone who ever lost a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean. It seems that so many good people suffer for no reason while bad people live happy lives. It makes me wonder if God really exists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God exists and He looks after all of us. There are reasons for everything. Just because we don’t understand them, doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even in the darkest days, light will always shine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have many losses in my life. Sometimes I wanted to die, but I cannot let myself be weak. I think our believe help to our relatives. I believe!

    ReplyDelete