Saturday 1 August 2009

Answering questions

Let me use this post to answer some of your questions.

Firstly, my “book-writing” software. I initially created the program as a sort of brain dump management (in case anyone wonders, dump is actually an official term used in software world, most commonly referring to memory dumps), a customized spreadsheet that suited me and my somewhat hectic brain structure. Through regular bursts of enthusiasm and weekends spent in front of the computer screen, the program acquired features suitable for story writing. It allows me to input main characters, their physical and psychological descriptions, their relationships, major positive and negative traits. When the main characters are established I can move onto setting out main plot milestones, detailing the characters, the places, the motivations. Once all the data’s in place, the program produces a plot outline, providing an approximate chapter by chapter breakdown, timing for major revelations and for red herrings (who enjoys a book without them). It also produces some nice wall charts that are very useful for keeping a visual image of the story.

Now, this is starting to sound pretty good even to me. Of course, it’s not that wonderful. The program has a few bugs, few problems here and there... and its main flaw – it doesn’t actually write books. It’s a tool. A tool that works fine for me, but would probably cause an outcry of negative feedback if it was ever marketed. It’s handy, it keeps my thoughts organised, it helps me to re-focus my brain from job-oriented to book-oriented and ... that’s all really.

The Gardener

I haven’t quite finished the Snowflake as I write this, but it’s oh so close. I’m planning to type the final stop to the final sentence sometime next week. Still, the story is there. My characters have finished telling the tale and I’m simply documenting it now.

The Gardener, on the other hand, is untold. It’s floating around me like early-morning mist, revealing very little, yet promising so much. Writing a book, as I found out, is as much of a journey for the writer as it is for the readers. And I can’t wait to step onto the new trail and see where it leads me. As always, I welcome everyone along.

8 comments:

  1. I feel your love for writing in the way you talk about your books. When you love what you do, that’s when you are creating instead of simply doing. I wish you the very best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great journey, but don’t forget to send us postcards ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you luck with your second book. In the meanwhile, are you planning to publish Snowflake? If you do, I’d like you to share your experience of the publishing industry with us. I heard it’s tough and it’d be nice to hear from somebody going through it, especially with you being a foreigner as well as first time writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana, I have an advice for you. Even if you have a great number of ideas, don’t ever rush in telling them all in one go. You should always remember that a good book is a long journey and you should make it interesting all the way through. So concentrate on the beginning, but always remember what the end is going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two words. Enjoy yourself! You’re doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess. I have tried to write a few times in the past, but I never had the strength or dedication to finish what I started. Maybe it’s because I was concentrating on the ending too much, on delivering a message and not really enjoying the journey. Write while you feel inspired and while you’re enjoying it. Your thoughts will find a logical ending themselves. But again, maybe I’m wrong here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finished reading the third chapter of the Snowflake a few minutes ago. My husband Harry just got back from work and asked if something happened. I convinced him that everything was all right, but I know why I looked so worried. It was because of Sally finding all those emails. It’s amazing when another person can make us worry, laugh and cry simply with the power of their thoughts. I’m looking forward to getting to know your new characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When planting a new tree, you should always remember that it's going to demand your permanent care. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete