Saturday 11 April 2009

Arguments in the family


Nothing is ever perfect. A perfect life is what we all strive towards, but once there, we should be left alone to enjoy the bliss. It’s the problems and struggles that make it to books. And it’s a first serious problem for Clarkes.

Every family is ultimately built on trust and when something to shatter that trust slithers into a relationship, it hits hard and leaves splinters behind. Leo and Sally have a serious argument in the third chapter. I’ve tried to re-create realistic conditions to spark and then fuel the fight. After all, arguments typically stem from the same set of roots. Secrets in the family, whether or not they are directed against the other half, misunderstandings, coincidental circumstances. Sometimes a fight can be deliberately provoked by a third party looking for something to gain. What other things can cause a serious argument among close people?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ana. I accidently stumbled across your blog. I read your posts from the very beginning and I like the sound of your novel. I enjoy reading about computer crime, but there isn’t that much out there that takes my fancy.

    Here’re answers to some of your questions: It’s not important what language author writes in, as long as the content is up to scratch. I’m sure there’s people you can hire to correct your English if need be. But when the book is boring, then there’s nothing you can do about it. Personally, if I don’t like the beginning of a book, I won’t go any deeper. I don’t have time to waste. I think a good author should capture readers attention from the word go and keep them hooked all the way.

    Technophobia exists. I know from personal experience, but I think it’s a dying problem and soon it will be analogue devices that scare people more than digital ones.

    Arguments arise for different reasons. Family arguments I’m used to are on brother-sister level. Personally I hate when somebody develops a habit of poking around in my things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! New portal, new people! Hey Ana. I love reading, but prefer funny stuff. Liked your joke about fishing with dynamite. If you’ll write in the same style, I’ll be your reader.

    I agree with ConstantRambler (cool name dude!). It doesn’t matter that you ain’t a professor of Literature from Oxford or wherever, as long as you can capture readers attention. I’d also add that making us readers laugh (as well as mandatory cry) is a nice bonus. I don’t care what language you speak. I’d use sign language if I liked the person well enough.

    Families start to fight and fall apart when they have nothing left in common and can’t share a laugh together.

    ReplyDelete