Saturday 21 November 2009

Fear

Fear… Fear is a feeling we are typically embarrassed of. From an early age we are told not to show fear, we are given examples of heroes – real or imaginary – who are never afraid. Yet, fear is a basic feeling. A feeling most of us are born with; an inbuilt mechanism to avoid danger and ensure survival. Our bodies are programmed to have fear built into them.


We all fear a lot without really knowing it. We fear being late for work, fear that the presentation we’ve been preparing for weeks will end in disaster, fear that our children will get hurt at school. The list of fears for an average modern human is never ending. Yet, when you ask most people about fear, what they think of is anti-courage. Anti-courage is cowardice. Fear can lead to it, just like it can lead to bravery. It’s when a man fears for his family, his country, his people, more than he fears for his own life that a hero is made. So, fear is more of an instinct than a feeling. It’s natural. But what if fears are suppressed, hidden, harbored? What if fear is so strong that it burns inside, consuming everything else? I’m not talking about phobias, I’m talking about feelings that all of us can experience at one time or another. Can fear like that lead to cruelty? Can it lead to death? Or will it make us stronger, forging us a heart of steel?

11 comments:

  1. Fear is an interesting feeling. It is indeed often considered embarrassing, but it’s the only feeling that helps to keep us alive. Fear warns us of dangers and ensures survival of the species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear nothing but fear itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t know, maybe fear is useful to “ensure survival of the species”, but personally I’m sick and tired of always being afraid. Afraid of this, afraid of that. Afraid my boyfriend’s gonna cheat on me, afraid I’m gonna fail my Uni exam or embarrass myself at a party. I think fear is something young people experience a lot. Especially nowadays with all the “perfect” celebrities around. Everyone demands us to be perfect and we’re afraid of not being able to measure up to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the question was “Is fear good or bad”, I’d say it was good. But it’s more subtle than that. Of course, there’re always shades of grey. Everything depends on the individual and on his/her environment. Too much fear stops us from achieving our dreams and our desires. How can anyone be free and enjoy freedom, if inside they remain slave to their fears?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me fear is like breaks on a car. You can drive without breaks, it might even be fun, but you won’t last long. Not only will you get hurt, but you might end up hurting others. In my mind people with no fear (none at all, I mean) are associated with maniacs and fanatics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every day I wake up a little afraid. Only a fool is never afraid. - Ron Meyer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I never gave much thought to fear before. I was sure I never feared anything, but having read the post and the comments, I admit to feeling fearful at times. I’d normally call it worrying, but I suppose worry is just a type of fear. And yes, I believe fear could lead to many terrible things. Just think about wild animals. They typically attack humans out of fear, i.e. in self-defense, and not out of nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recently I recognized I’m testing real fear about opinion of people I don’t even know. At first it were my neighbors, friends, colleagues… Now it’s begin to be like illness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My explanation of fear might sound a bit on a technical side, but here it goes: I see fear as a sort of thermostat that goes off at times of danger. Unlike the real thermostat, the moment it is activated is different for different people. Go off too early and you get cowardice, too late – stupidity. If we manage to find the golden mean, though, then this feeling can become invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As many people die from an excess of timidity as from bravery.

    Norman Mailer said and I agree

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe conquering our fears makes us stronger. I watch my boys grow and see them conquering their little fears and becoming more confident, more mature. Fear is nothing to be ashamed off, I always tell them that. I think instead telling our kids what not to fear, we should tell them of things that they should always fear. It might save them a few nasty bumps along the way.

    ReplyDelete