Saturday 13 June 2009

Indifference


It’s easy to understand why people do good things; it’s the bad that puzzle. In children’s fairytales villains are simple, two-dimensional characters with little depth and the only fitting description of evil. As grownups we understand that good and bad have shades of grey in between. How is it that a real-life villain is made? Can simple feelings, even positive traits, turn into flaws nasty enough to make us into a villain? Can admiration turn to envy, fear into cruelty, contentment into indifference?

Indifference is the feeling I want to talk about today. Is indifference a vice? Is indifference to human suffering as bad as causing that suffering? Is indifference good or bad, or neutral? I see indifference as a null-feeling, a no-feeling. To me it’s not an opposite of care, but a no care, a complete absence of compassion. We get so engrossed into our own lives, our own problems that we forget to think about other people. When I talk about indifference I hear people responding: “What’s the point, there’s nothing I can do about it.” You don’t need to be able to do anything to care. And if enough of us care, maybe then we’ll finally be able to do something.

9 comments:

  1. Indifference is the greatest vice of modern society. It is an illness and most of us are ill with it. Indifference to somebody else’s problems, indifference to somebody else’s grief has become a norm in our society. People are afraid to care, because then they have to do something. It’s much easier to remain indifferent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, indifference is a like a plague that nobody knows about, but everyone is infected with it to a greater or lesser degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t think there are many people who really understand how hurtful indifference can be. Only ones who felt it themselves can come close. You’re right, indifference means no feelings, no emotions, it’s hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indifference is a harmless evil that possesses huge destructive force.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indifference and inaction must always pay a penalty.
    William Feather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indifference may not wreck a man's life at any one turn, but it will destroy him with a kind of dry rot in the long run.

    I don’t remember who said it but I agree with every word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference. Bess Myerson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely agree with all the comments. Indifference is terrible, but I have a confession. I’m sorry, but I often experience the feeling of indifference… especially in relation to my job… and especially on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana, I agree with you; indifference is a no-feeling.

    ReplyDelete